Thursday, September 17, 2009

Dinner with Jessica

[EDIT I did this late at night and the pictures are tiny... I'll upload them again but bigger!]

Finally something I made! I made an excellent squash soup last year, but I am pretty sure this soup beats it hands down. Which makes me really excited considering I made this up. I also got most of the veggies from the Mennonite booth at the farmers market. I've never seen garlic so large and juicy.

This soup is exactly how I like things in life - sweet and spicy.




Sweet Roasted Squash Soup with a little spice


2 acorn squash
1 cup butter
1 medium onion diced
2 (or more) cloves garlic diced
2 apples diced (I used Gala)
Salt and pepper to taste (I used 1/2 tablespoon salt and 2 tsps pepper.
3 cups apple cider
3 tsp cayenne pepper (I used more but I like spicy things)
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon (I accidentally put a lot more in and it was delicious).
Roughly 600-700ml vegetable broth.

Also, a dab of cream cheese or a drizzle of heavy cream when served.


1. Preheat oven to 350 C. Cut your squash into four and lather with olive oil. Place on a cookie sheet and back for 45 minutes. Turn about halfway through. When they are soft and cooked through, you can take them out to cool.

2. In a very very large pot, melt the butter at medium heat. Saute onions until they are softened (5 min). Add diced apples, salt and pepper, and garlic. Saute until tender.

3. Add apple cider, and the rest of the spices. Simmer.

4. When it cools and you can hold the squash, scoop out the goodness into your soup pot. Add vegetable broth. Bring it to a boil and the reduce heat.

(I'll let everyone know now that I'm unsure how long I reduced it for, and how I knew when it was the perfect timing to take it to the blender. I probably simmered it for about 40-50 minutes though, until I got tired of waiting....)

5. Blend! If you find its too thick - add some vegetable broth and if its too thin put it back on the stove top.

6. When its all smooth, add the creamy goodness to the top.

7. Eat!



Also, This is Jean Poutine - my kitten :)
(Look at his little ears! I didn't even realize until I looked at this nicely illuminated picture... Poor kitty needs to visit the vet!)

blog comments powered by Disqus