Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Limericks! And Art!


Oh no, I'm on the Limerick train too! I have decided that this week I'm going to get the students I work with to write poetry about their selected paintings.

I don't really have a lot of experience teaching highschool kids, so I usually work on an exercise and then practice it myself... to see it if makes any sense at all.

I think I'm going to get them to brainstorm a list of words inspired by their painting, write a few metaphors about it, and then transform those words and metaphors into an extended metaphor poem.

Also, as a bonus, I'm going to get them to write some limericks! HA!

Here is my version of the exercise:


H.M. King Edward VIII by Walter Sickert

Brainstorm:
afraid, nervous, awkward, royal, young, avoidance, fading into the background, slim, hiding, etc

Extended metaphor poem:


Avoiding his duties,
Red Prince
More likely to melt
Back into the crowd
Nervous and Vacant
The people await
To hear from their prince
Their Charming son

A mouse to rule a country.
None to committed to his duties.
Would prefer a hole in a wall
To this.
A quiet crumb
To the elephant to come.
Hiding behind his crown
Mom, I don’t want to.
But you must -
You must.

Limericks:

The young Prince was running away
With this crowd he did not want to play
They were throwing bad fruit
Glitter and disco to boot,
All because they thought he was gay.

Dear sir with the big black bear hat
I was talking with your young sister pat
She had seen you up town
Smearing it all over with brown
Which is gross, you dirty bottomed prat.

blog comments powered by Disqus